Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Enter the Fray -


Well, it's time to enter into the mix of bloggers - I'm on my journey to November when I'll be finishing my first 1/2 Ironman at the Miami-Man 1/2. Lucky you, you'll get to hear about everything inbetween. So far I've had mixed results this year - I've competed in the Escape to Alcatraz Florida, Escape from Ft. Desoto sprint, and the St. Anthony's Olympic - and other than losing a bunch of weight so far this year (15 lbs), haven't had any real great splits or times yet.

So, a few weeks back, after St. Anthony's, I changed my training up a bit and went back to nothing but "base" training in the bike and run - with decent results so far. I've increased my bike ride distances to 50 miles plus for most of my rides, keeping my HR under 150 - most rides my average is 144. Runs are between 6 and 8 miles, mostly, with the same HR goals, usually averaging around 147. It's interesting when you do that, a 25 mile bike ride seems like nothing anymore, and a 3 mile run is over before it even starts. I've got another 3 weeks of base concentration, and then I'll start pushing back into some speed training again.

In 2 weeks I've got the Mad Beach Tri - its a sprint here near Clearwater, Fl. I'm looking forward to see if these 10 and 11 hr training weeks will bear any fruit. The weight is down into the high 240's - which is still on target with my goal of 245 for the Disney Olympic Tri. I started this triathlon trek at a very unhealthy 300lbs two Januarys ago - I think I can reasonably get down to 225 someday - 235lbs is the goal for Miami-Man.

Well, looking forward to a nice 6-mile run tonight, and then tomorrow (my day off from work) I'll hit it hard again with a bike-run brick early in the day, and then a swim in the afternoon - with a master's class and coach Milo. Even though it takes so long, working out at base pace allows for some really long workouts with easy recovery for the next day's efforts.

No comments: