Thursday, November 09, 2006

Taper blues

I'm a crappy taper-er. I get it in my mind that I need to take it easy before a big race and I do just that. Man, I haven't done diddly-squat now for two weeks. That first week of tapering, I swam a grand total of 1200m, biked a measly 25m and ran, if you can call it that, a whopping 2m. I'll admit, I was sore and tired from the prior two week ramp-up of activity, but I think I probably under did it.

Then this week, again, 1200 in the pool, and a better, more intense 25m/4m brick. That, too was probably a mistake, being too much for 5 days before a big race. Yesterday I was sore all day, getting weird pulls and aches all in my legs and back. Now I find myself back to the beginning of last week - in recovery mode.


On the way to work this morning I realized that I was Jonesing - I guess. I've never done drugs at all (yea, yea, I know, I'm a boyscout, but really, nothing illegal now for 42 years...) and I'm not much of a drinker, but I find myself craving a good, long workout. I mean I want to get out and ride a century or go on a long run. I miss it- am I getting addicted to the endorphins you always read about but never really get "high" from? I'm chomping at the bit - appropriate for a Clydesdale - I hope the feeling lasts for a couple more days...


I read Bolder's post about his taper for IMFL (look how well he did!) and I thought it smart to really lay off to get rid of the soreness and the feeling of being tired all the time. I've been getting loads of sleep, been chilling out in the evening after work, watching some tube and eating well. I know that nothing I do workout-wise in this last week or two will increase my fitness for the race, I know it! It just doesn't feel right. So I'm trying to be a good taper-er, I guess we'll see come Sunday.


2 comments:

Tri-Dummy said...

Marc:
I'm terrible at tapering, too. If I have a Saturday race, I still train up to Thursday...up to Friday if I have a Sunday race.
My opinion is I want to be in the kind of shape where I can race at any time. An unexpected race comes up..okay, I'll do it.
I met a dude (50yo) who trains for HIM all year long whether he's racing or not. So when something comes up, he knows he can do it.
Crazy? Thats the way I want to be...I like the long training days.

Tri-Dummy said...

So...how did it go?