Friday, December 08, 2006

Race Change


Well, it's official - no more Florida 1/2 Ironman 70.3 for me. I caved - granted, it's pretty cool and I'm happy about the change - but I caved nonetheless. Instead of the half on May 20th, we'll be doing the Mad Dog Sprint Tri, and then 2 weeks later we'll be heading up to Macon Georgia to do the Coliseum Rock & RollMan Triathlon - a half that has gotten some pretty good reviews.

I'm happy for 2 reasons - the Mad Dog Tri is my favorite race so far, and it's got a Beer Truck. The Rock & Roll also has a Beer Truck and is sponsored by Outback - except for, maybe, Hooter's Girls, what could be better? Looking back at '06, I think I've been taking these races a bit too seriously - I didn't drink enough beer in '06. Believe it or not, the Mad Dog and St. Anthony's were the only 2 races that had Beer at them out of 10 races that we did. I need to do a better job at picking races.




My tri-sherpa is ecstatic - http://clydesdalestriharder.blogspot.com/2006/12/fast-times-at-madeira-beach.html - our partying last year continued long after the tent was taken down at the local martini establishment. We drank fu-fu drinks well into the afternoon! With any luck, our racing partners, Luke and Erika and baby Nora (well, Nora's 2 now, almost losing baby-status) will be able to go again, and our friends from Michigan, Lil Clyde and his wife Carrie (he calls me Big Clyde) will come for his first Tri. This is a great first tri but it sets the bar pretty high for other future triathlons.


So, no M-dot races this year, half or otherwise. I'll have to wait to taste the mystique of the WTC until next year, but that's not so bad a thing. I may be at the start of a personal trend - "Go Local" - support the "little guy" - shun the big, bad Walmart of the triathlon community. Or, we may be seeing you at IMFL in '08. Who knows?


As a side note - the RaceAthlete committee for future RA Races should really start to think hard of which Iron-distance race will be the official RA race of '08. If it's going to be a early '08 race, as soon as the '07 season starts, like with IM Arizona on April 15th - we won't have too long to decide if that's going to be "the one"....and that's only about 5 months away...

7 comments:

Big Bike Fan said...

your Tri Sherpa loves and supports you....afterall, she gets to go to Madeira Beach....oooooo....ahhhhhhh

Big Bike Fan said...

did i say beer truck?

Big Bike Fan said...

BTW thanks Bolder!!!!! you are the man~!(sherap is going to Madeira) Whoever she who will remane nameless is that exploited your man couch...shame shame, tsk tsk.

Big Bike Fan said...

that is sherpa not sherap

Duane said...

Wow, I didn't know some races had beer! Thanks for the encouragement on my blog and it's nice to meet another clydesdale!

Bolder said...

i'm glad to read this.

i don't remember if it came across on my race report or not, but i was not thrilled with Florida 70.3.

i mean, who likes to have to throw away a pair of running shoes after a race.

look forward to your race reports!

Marc said...

I remember that now - I think Roman had the same feeling - had to run next to a canal or something and it was black dust or mud or similiar that wouldn't wash out - well, it's moot now - I'm drinking beer and eating outback in June!