Thursday, June 26, 2008

Iron Prelude

Before I try and describe the experience that was Ironman Coeur d'Alene, I must first thank, from the bottom of my heart, my wife and greatest fan, Di, or TrisherpaDi as she's come to be known.

Di stood by me through all the training, all the gadget buying and fretting over reservations and plane fares. She waited nervously for me when my IM run went to shit, worried that something horrible had happened to me.

She put up with my daily obsessing over trinkets and splits and sunglasses without hardly a word of complaint. She was there for me. I love her more than she knows.

She was my first friendly face in the finish shoot - her hug and kiss was the validation of a year of training. For over 14 hrs she found me on the course and lifted me from whatever funk I was in at the time.

I couldn't ask for a better partner, lover, friend - if I haven't said it enough - Thanks, Di - I love you!

18 comments:

Unknown said...

AWWWWWWW!
You know we ALL love Di....

Jumper 2.0 said...

A perfect start for a race report.

Congratulations (for many things) Ironman!

Unknown said...

Wonderful post, Bigun!

momo said...

awe, bigun. you are a softie, aren't you?

di is AWESOME. seriously. always a smile, always an encouraging word.

big hugs to both of you!

Bigun said...

I certaintly was a softie in that picture! Well on my way to 300 lbs at my 40th birthday...

Iron Krista, "The Dog Mom" said...

So sweet! i love her too :-)

ShirleyPerly said...

Indeed, no one meets big goals without the support of loved ones. Very cool way to begin your report!

Duane said...

Great post dude! You are both blessed!

Kevin said...

Its so great to have someone there supporting you along the long journey

Supalinds said...

Very sweet Bigun - I knew you had it in you!

We all love Di, she is so great on so many levels!

S. Baboo said...

Yea Di! You ae a lucky guy Bigun!

TRI-ROB said...

She's the bees knees... AND hawt.
Good boy Bigun!

Can't WAIT for the RR!

p.s. No egg-makin video!

CoachLiz said...

You earned yourself BIG points there dude! Di is a wonderful woman to have supported you on your way to your goal over the last year. Now it is time to give her some extra special "Honey Do" projects around the house.

You are a lucky guy Bigun!

RBR said...

Gotta love a guy with the balls to openly love his wife.

Wait... that didn't come out right.

You know what I mean. You are a lucky guy and she a lucky woman. Very cool that you were able to do this together. It is definitely a team effort. Congrats on your race finish!

-unknown, random, blog stalker

momo said...

You rocked...your wife REALLY rocked and its was great spending and sharing time with you guys....


Big J.....

P.S. come visit...

IronTriTim said...

Yep, she is pretty special, what did she do to get stuck with you! J/K lovely post and really nice to remember your no 1 sherpa.

Afternoon Tea With Oranges said...

Awe...how sweet! You are a very lucky ironman!

Brent Buckner said...

Awwww... inspiring!