Sunday, June 15, 2008

Leaving soon...

Well, tomorrow we start packing for our 3:36 flight on Tuesday out of Tampa. Of course, we gots loads of laundry to do, 9 days clothing to plan, cold weather clothes to find and pack, plus the whole race layout....Monday's gonna be a big day!

Gotta Shave Rave for sure. That will entail some sheers to the legs - I've let them get pretty long again. I need a fresh flattop too. Get them ears lowered.

Need to make another trip to the bike shop. Dumb Bigun forgot to take off my cassette from my training wheel before I packed the tools to put it on my rental Zipp 808 (did I mention that I'll be riding 808's yet....yea, I thought so...) - so hopefully they will loosen the screw up for me post haste on Monday.

Some decisions were made. Red top from the Chicago Triathlon will be my run shirt. It's seen a marathon and worked well. Why mess with success? Blue Nike bike jersey and bibs for the bike. Long sleeve cool max shirt to combat the cold morning air - 47 degrees overnight lows - and I'll even start the bike with my cycling gloves. I'm 99.9% sure I'm going to adjust the screens on my Garmin to only show Heart Rate, Average Heart rate, and Miles - no speed. I'm thinking I'll be pleasantly surprised with the cool temps, riding with my aero helmet and race wheels (which I have yet to do on a long ride), and aid stations every 10 miles - plus the excitement of IRONMAN - no predictions of bike splits, I just think I'll be happy.

As will the run be a happy jaunt. Training in high heat and humidity adds significant stress in the form of raised heart rates for any particular pace. Mid 70's temps during the run is a 15 to 25 degree drop from my normal training temps, and a 55% humidity is going to feel awesome. The trick for the.bigun will be to arrive at the waters' edge without being sick, as significant temperature changes tend to bring on the sniffles. Lots of OJ.

It's also time to cash in the piggy bank. That's right - the CDA Fun Bank will be converted to green tomorrow at the credit union. We didn't fill up the jar as much as I'd hoped in a year, but whatever is in there will surely buy a few beers!

18 comments:

Jill Ann said...

Listened to the podcast 10 today. I hope you have a GREAT time at your first IM!! There are a lot of Nashvillians going to CDA also.

I will be at IM FL...cheering on Lana and crew. Was named head cheerleader and have been granted the megaphone. So, I will (in honor of TacBoy n Bigun) be calling myself Cheerpa.

PS I am buds with Lana and Michele...after CDA, we'll have to email and get all the Sherpa's coordinated for IM FL...will be a FUN time!!

Cheers...to you and Tac in CDA!!

PPS...I DO love your podcast...you 2 are hilarious!

Jill

Kate said...

Wow, sounds like you are going to be busy tomorrow (Monday). Exciting, it is getting so close...

Bullet said...

Hey man, I'm really pumped for you. Can't wait to track your progress. Go easy this week. I want only thoughts about victory this week.

Jenny Davidson said...

Sounds great!

Oly said...

As a male that lives with three fe's... i have to say you pack like a girl!

blue top, red top, this pair of shorts, that skirt.

Hope you pack a pair of capri's in case it's spring like weather. And wear your SEX & the City blouse too.

Mark said...

Wow - getting exciting!

You WILL be pleasantly surprised with your performance in regard to the weather. I ran a hilly half-mary at TTT in Zone 1, and I can barely stay in Z1 for 5 mins in FL!

Born To Endure said...

You have the "right stuff"..righ attitude..everything. Now go out there and kick some CDA butt!!!!

S. Baboo said...

You don't need no stinkin cassette!

Tarabay said...

give em hell!!!

Jumper 2.0 said...

Have fun and good luck (almost) Ironman!

ward said...

Big,
Good luck on your adventure. I noticed that you had also froze at fla great escape in march. and it looks like your next race will be cold. One thing I've found helpful in keeping my feet warm for the run are calien toes. They are already on your shoes, so you do have to think about putting them on. And I've found being that they only cover part of your foot if it warms up your feet don't over heat.

Anonymous said...

Kick some @ss Bigun. If my internet works (big if) I'll follow your progress during the race. :)

Iron Krista, "The Dog Mom" said...

I am SO relieved to hear you finally picked out your outfit!!! It's like so important you know :-)

I'm looking forward to the cooler temps too... It was 90degs and 30% humidity (not ALWAYS a dry heat here) this am at 6 when I did my run.... UGh!

Travel safe, and we'll see you in a few days!!

The (IRON) Clyde said...

Good luck Man.

I love following bloggers on IM Sunday's on the computer.

Can't wait to see how you do, make us Clyde's proud!!

greyhound said...

Surely a podcasting superstar like you doesn't have to buy his own drinks?

Herself, the GeekGirl said...

We'll see you tomorrow night! We'll be the ones with the baggy clothes...and loose skin.

Supalinds said...

Dude HTFU - glad you got your outfit lined up! I was worried you would go with the white :)

Ryan said...

Great #10!

The next time I hear you, the.bigun will be an Ironman.

I'll be pulling for you, I'll be watching. Enjoy the race.

Slow down in the finisher's chute and enjoy your time with Mike Reilly....... You EARNED it.

Good Luck!!

Tell Tac, "Buckets of Hair," Great line.