Sunday, June 17, 2007

Getting back into it

Awesome to read all the race reports from you folks this weekend. Great job everyone! Props out to Duane with his 2nd tri ever - great effort big guy! Other than all the health and mental benefits, and looking hawt for your significant other, racing is icing on the cake for all this training that we do. Bolder's report about his rez race has got me motivated for a rematch against my first tri - the Crystal River Sprint Tri on the 30th. It's a "c" race, but it will be fun - especially with the really short 1/4 mile swim.

Last week was a transition week for me. I'm having to fight my brain hard to get back into training again. I'm usually pretty good at getting out the door, but this week, not so much. I did my long bike and long run though, so that's a good thing. Those were the important ones. If you are like me you can skip past this training recap part of my post, like I do many times with your posts.... Long run this week was 8 miles. Long bike was 62 miles, averaged at 17.7 mph and 140bmp HR. Took some discipline to keep it in the "base" HR range, but was nice to see after 3:30hrs that the average HR was as low as that. I was riding with a guy and he pushed the last 12 miles - with the breeze picking up, my HR was at or over 150 for a while, pushing the average up. My last base phase had me at 134bpm for 18.6mph as a best effort, so I'm not quite as fit as then, but I have a feeling it will come back pretty quickly. Plus that PR was only for 25 miles - so it really is not a fair assessment. We'll see.

I managed to get in the pool again this morning after a 2 week hiatus - I was like a rusty gate in there! Coughing, sinking...it was ugly. But, what should I have expected? Swimming is so much about form and feel - it's the one event you really can't let go of like I did. Not that I had much form or feel to begin with.

5 comments:

S. Baboo said...

What! You don't read our training logs! That's just sad.

Andra Sue said...

Maybe YOUR swim mojo is hanging out somewhere with MY swim mojo...hiding from us. Let me know if you see 'em!

bigmike600 said...

Dude- You rode 62 miles at almost 18MPH pace? THAT ROCKS. I am hoping that someday I can break the elusive 20MPH average that you and others so regularly enjoy. I recently got my TI video and am starting to embrace the water. We shall see.

Wrenched Photography said...

You say you dont read our training logs, but here you comment that you wondered why I had a zero for swim yardage. What is it, do you read em or not?

Di said...

Bigun is a total fibber McGee- he reads it all! I know, because i get to hear about it... He's just trying to get a rise out of ya'll